Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Wood Screw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Wood Screw

    I am looking for a source for a type of wood screw. See the one on the right in the following clip. However, the head must be of the Philips type rather than slotted.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    Thanks, GM. I did a lot of Googling but didn't come across those.

    By the way, what do you use to fasten removeable loudspeaker front baffles?
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    Not surprised, me, Cal and some others on the DIYaudio forum compared some Google searches using identical requests with some wildly different results, so in retrospect I should have mentioned using some other search engines also to search for 'phillips round head wood screw'.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=phillips+head+round+screw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&sugexp=llsfp&pq=phillips%20head%20round%20 wood%20screw&xhr=t&q=phillips+round+head+wood+scre w&cp=20&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&aq=0v&aqi=&aql=&oq=phillips+round+he ad+wood+screw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c99d ecee79d1fe4a

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Wood Screw


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    For baffles I prefer countersunk flat heads.

    I use a driver drill....a few years back I went totally to square drive screws...much more positive than philips...

    One of many sources...

    http://www.mcfeelys.com/
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    I'm not sure if your choice of head is purely one of form, or function. So I'll make a suggestion. I don't really like phillips head screws. I've used Torx head screws for a few things (non-audio so far) and I like them so far. They don't strip out easily, and will actually stay on the tip of the driver if help horizontal.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Thanks, GM.

    By the way, what do you use to fasten removeable loudspeaker front baffles?

    You're welcome!

    Depends. Way back when, I used flat countersunk slotted wood screws since there were no other options in the sizes I wanted to use until Phillips head versions became available near the end of my peak building 'career' since I didn't want the added cost of a gross of T-nuts which were quite pricey at the time, at least in my locale.

    Lately, I've been using square drive which at the torque values required for speaker building and the various cabinet/furniture/child swing set type stuff I've been doing for a friend is plenty good enough WRT to potential head stripping and are cheaper than Torx in my locale.


    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    I have a question. What is the purpose of a removable baffle? Are these test boxes you are building?
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Lately, I've been using square drive.......
    I've used those about 20 years ago when building a flat bed on my truck. They worked well. I think they're also called "Robertson".

    I had a few left over in a set of saw horses. Last summer, I pulled about 2 or 4 different drive types out of those saw horses when I rebuilt them :-)
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wood Screw

    I think they're also called "Blockys". I've also used those screws, I think about 13 years ago when building some shelves in one of my closets. They worked extremely good I must say.

    If I had som left, I could sent you some, but I don't think I left a few of those screws, sorry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.